History

Rich in history, Collier Township has grown from early settlements in the Walkers Mill and Ewingsville sections during the 1770’s, to a center for coal, limestone, oil and natural gas in the 1880’s, to today’s community that offers primer residential living with successful and sustaining commerce cores. This timeline will guide you through our Community’s past as we grew into what we are proud of today.

Jan. 12 1875

A Petition of Citizens

January 12, 1875 – a petition of citizens of Robinson, North Fayette and South Fayette was presented in court for redistribution of territory comprised within their limits.  J. B. Stilley, Capt. John Gilfillan and Alexander D. Burn wre appointed to take this matter under consideration

Feb. 26, 1875

Favor of Forming a New Township

February 26, 1875 – J. B. Stilley, Capt. John Gilfillan and Alexander Burns reported in favor of forming a new township.

May. 11, 1875

The Measure Was Adopted

February 26, 1875 – J. B. Stilley, Capt. John Gilfillan and Alexander Burns reported in favor of forming a new township.

June. 7, 1875

The new township was formed

June 7, 1875 – by a decree of court the new township was formed.  Collier Township was named after the Honorable Fredrick H. Collier of the common pleas bench of county courts

Dec 1911

Collier Township , A First-Class Township

  • First Minutes of a Collier Township meeting were December 18, 1911
  • First Township Commissioners were:
    • P. F. Hormel, President
    • J. R. Dillon, Vice President
    • J. J. Walker, Secretary ProTem
    • Peter Klein
    • James Lane
  • First Township Solicitor – J. F. Wallace – appointed December 18, 1911 to a one year term.  Salary $300 per year
  • December 28, 1911 –Special Board of Commissioners meeting designated the Hotel McGrogan in Walkers Mill as the official meeting place.  Meeting were to be held the first Tuesday of each month at 1:30 pm.

Jan 3, 1912

First Township Clerk

First Township Clerk – J. Scott Walker – appointment date unknown, but as of January 3, 1912 he is listed on the minutes.  Salary $200 per year

Feb 13, 1912

First Township Road Supervisor

First Township Road Supervisor – H. W. Walk  – appointed Feb. 13, 1912 with a salary of $70 per month ($840 per year), nine hours to constitute a day.  Day Labors received $1.80 per day, nine hours to constitute a day and two men with a four horse team in a road scraper were paid $10.00 per day, nine hours to constitute a day.

Oct 6, 1987

Dedication of Current Township Building

Dedication of Current Township Building – October 17, 1987 from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm but, the first official Board of Commissioners meeting was held October 6, 1987 in the new meeting room.

Summer 1999

Flag & Veterans Monument

Summer 1999 – Flag  & Veterans Monument  started at Collier Township building.

Fall 1999

Panhandle Trail

Fall 1999 – Panhandle Trail – dedication of first mile October 31, 1999.

June 16, 2000

125th Year Celebration

June 16, 2000 – Dedication of Phase II of the Monument and Celebration of  Collier Township’s 125th year