Formation of Collier Township

men1909Brief history relating to the formation of Collier Township in 1875:

  • January 12, 1875 – A petition of citizens of Robinson, North Fayette, and South Fayette was presented in court for redistribution of territory comprised within their limits. J. B. Stilley, Capt. John Gilfillan and Alexander D. Burn were appointed to take this matter under consideration.
  • February 26, 1875 – J. B. Stilley, Capt. John Gilfillan and Alexander Burns reported in favor of forming a new township.
  • May 11, 1875 – The measure was adopted.
  • hickmancoalmine2

  • June 7, 1875 – by a decree of court the new township was formed. Collier Township was named after the Honorable Fredrick H. Collier of the common pleas bench of county courts.
  • December 1911 – Collier Township became a first-class township.
  • First Minutes of a Collier Township meet was December 18, 1911.
  • First Township Commissioners were:  P. F. Hormel, President; J. R. Dillon, Vice President; J. J. Walker, Secretary ProTem; Peter Klein; James Lane.
  • First Township Solicitor – J. F. Wallace – appointed December 18, 1911 to a one-year term. Salary $300 per year.
  • December 28, 1911 – Special Board of Commissioners meeting designated the Hotel McGrogan in Walkers Mill as the official meeting place. Meetings were to be held the first Tuesday of each month at 1:30 p.m.
  • First Township Clerk – J. Scott Walker – appointment date unknown, but as of January 3, 1912 he is listed on the minutes. Salary $200 per year.
  • First Township Road Supervisor – H. W. Walk – appointed February 13, 1912 with a salary of $70 per month ($840 per year), nine hours to constitute a day. Day Laborers received $1.80 per day, nine hours to constitute a day, and two men with a four-horse team in a road scraper were paid $10 per day, nine hours to constitute a day.
  • Dedication of Current Township Building – October 17, 1987 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. but the first official Board of Commissioners meeting was held October 6, 1987 in the new meeting room.
  • Summer 1999 – Flag & Veterans Monument started at Collier Township Building.
  • Fall 1999 – Panhandle Trail – dedication of first mile October 31, 1999.
  • June 16, 2000 – Dedication of Phase II of the Monument and Celebration of Collier Township’s 125th year.